Our Client is a public sector regulatory body based in Dublin. They are currently looking for a Legal Affairs Manager who can demonstrate good managerial skills as well as fitness to practice experience. The role is primarily a regulatory one but experience in others areas will be considered.
The Legal Affairs Manager will lead the Fitness to Practise and Legal Affairs Unit and manage all legal matters within this public sector regulatory body. The post holder will manage a team of three staff together with external contractors providing legal advice and services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage the Legal Affairs Unit and assigned staff and budget.
• Manage all legal matters arising from the operation of the relevant legislation.
• Manage all aspects of the operation of the statutory disciplinary processes under the relevant legislation.
• Act as principal liaison with external legal advisors and manage all aspects of the provision of advice by external legal advisors.
• Provide legal and other relevant advice to the Senior management and staff in relation to all statutory functions and external compliance responsibilities (to include data protection, freedom of information and similar statutory obligations).
• Ensure that value-for-money is obtained from all expenditure on legal services and hold budgetary responsibility for, and sign off on, all external legal costs.
• Ensure that all that information and knowledge is properly managed and reviewed within the Fitness to Practise and Legal Affairs Unit.
• Ensure that the Service Plan objectives relevant to the Fitness to Practise and Legal Affairs Unit are achieved.
• Manage and develop the Fitness to Practise and Legal Affairs team including the preparation and implementation of performance reviews and development plans for the members of the team.
• Attend Council and Advisory Committee meetings, and other external meetings and events as required.
• Promote and contribute to a culture of continuous improvement, transformation and innovation within the organisation.
• Identify risk and assist the organisation in our purpose of mitigating regulatory.
• Participate in cross-functional initiatives and developments that contribute to the delivery of the strategic objectives of the organisation.
• Proactively engage in performance development reviews and actively engage in opportunities for personal learning and development.
• Other duties as assigned by Management.
Key Requirements, Candidates must have:
• Be a qualified solicitor or barrister, admitted to either the Roll of Solicitors in the Republic of Ireland or the Roll of Practising Barristers, and hold a valid practising certificate where relevant
• Have a minimum of 8 years post-qualification experience
• Have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in public and administrative law
• Have a minimum of 2 years’ people management experience
• Previous experience in instructing counsel, committees and external lawyers
In addition, the following are considered desirable:
• Experience of professional regulation with a track record in managing and coordinating the provision of legal and advisory services
• Experience in contract management
• Experience of working in a multidisciplinary environment
Post will be located in Dublin. Attendance at the office will be in line with Government regulations.
To apply for this role send your CV in strictest confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org or for a confidential discussion telephone Mary on (01) 910 6927 or (087) 165 8722.